Dobo is a dog sport that combines exercise and having fun with the dog. Exercises are mainly done with the help of balls shaped like eggs. Some dobo movements are made with half-balls, and some with balance disks. The dog should never be forced to do movements and they are made on the dog’s conditions with the handler’s support. The sport includes three kinds of movements: movements made by the dog, the handler or together. There are different levels of movements aimed from beginners to those who are more active. Many movements can be modified from easy to challenging through very small changes. The purposes of these movements vary. Goals include improving balance, body management or muscles, and stretching. Many movements in dobo work several muscle groups simultaneously and for many purposes. Most dobo movements are large movements that include several muscle groups working together.
Even in seemingly static movements the muscles of both dog and handler are working hard.
Dobo includes different kinds of movements that aim at different things. Most movements have different benefits. The most significant benefit of dobo for the dog is the development of deep muscles and improved balance. Deep muscles act as a sort of corset close to the dog’s spine. Deep muscles of the back work to support the dog proactively during movement.
Benefits of dobo training for the dog
When is the dog not allowed to do dobo training?
Dobo provides an excellent workout, but there are times when dobo training should not be performed with the dog. Common sense should always be practiced when evaluating whether the training should be done.
Dobo should not done if
If your dog has a structural flaw or problem, consult a veterinarian or physiotherapist before
starting dobo training.
Benefits of dobo training for the dog
1. The exercises improve the dog’s concentration
2. The exercises improve the dog’s agility, balance and body control, which in turn reduces the likelihood of the dog being injured, and they improve competition dogs’ results
3. The exercises strengthen the dog’s (deep) muscles
4. The exercises help the dog to stretch itself as well and remove possible muscle tension
5. Exercising together with the dog supports and improves the relationship with the handler
Benefits of dobo training for the handler
1. The movements develop muscle power. They firm and strengthen muscles, while increasing muscle durability. Because the weight of the body works as resistance in many movements, the movements can easily be made more challenging.
2. The exercises increase the body’s flexibility. Many movements combine the strengthening and stretching of the muscle, which has proven to be more effective than stretching alone.
3. The exercises increase balance and coordination.
4. The movements improve posture, because the midriff muscles have to work to achieve balance alone. As the muscles in the midriff strengthen and stretch this may relieve back pain.
5. The exercises improve/add body control while activating several muscle groups simultaneously.
6. The movements are fun. While doing them one forgets everything else and playfulness arises. They are often fun and challenging at the same time.
7. It is suited for beginners as well as those with more experience.
8. Most of all it improves the relationship with the dog.
Dobo - Getting fit with your Dog -book available in Finland at www.koulutustarvike.fi
If you wish to order outside Finland, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
How to choose the right Doboball size
Ball's announced size should be at least 15cm higher than dog's height at the withers (shoulder height)
If a dog has a long body, it needs even larger ball. Ex. Dachshund and Corgi
The ball sizes are 35, 45, 55, 65 and 85. When filled the balls do not reach the announced size in centimeters, so please notice tha instructions below. It is best to measure your dog before bying the ball. If you have any questions you can contact us on email@example.com.
45cm -> 30-36cm filled, suitable for instance Chihuahua,
55cm -> 40-46cm filled, suitable for instance Border terrier, Jack russel terrier
65cm -> 50-56cm filled, suitable for Lagotto, Toller
85cm -> 65-70cm filled, suitable for instance Labrador retriever, German shepard
95cm -> 70-75cm filled, suitbale for instance Great dane, large Golden retreiver